礼节美语064讲
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作。他跟美国同事Amy一起往办公室走。
(Office ambience)
A:Hi Chen Hao. How are you today?
C:还可以,不过工作上有点烦心事。
A:Anything I can help you with?
C:我们组来了个新同事,叫Sue. 她很有创意。
A:Why is there an issue?
C:虽然她很有能力,但是靠不住。
A:In what way?
C:每次来开会,她事先都不做准备。
A:Does she know what is expected?
C:那当然,我们每次都提前公布议事日程,布置每个人的任务,但是Sue每次都空着手来。
A:Does she have a reason for coming unprepared?
C:她觉得没什么大不了。一开会,就会提出一大堆创意。
A:Tell me why this is a problem.
C:问题是,为了她,我们每次上来还要重复开会的议题。她不做准备,结果是让我们大家浪费时间。
A:I hate to cut this short, but we are both going to be late. Can we continue this conversation later?
C:好,一会儿见。
******
中午吃饭时。
A:Tell me about your problem with Sue. You are the team leader. Have you talked to her about arriving unprepared?
C:我作为小组组长,也找她谈过,但是没用,她找出各种理由,而且她确实很有工作能力,我也不想失去她。
A:Sounds to me as if you need to talk to your boss now.
C:告诉老板?那不成打小报告了吗?
A:If you have handled things right up to this point and given Sue a chance to correct her behavior, you need support from upper management.
C:有没有两全其美的办法,既能解决问题,又不对Sue构成伤害呢?
A:Do it as quickly as possible before the situation gets worse.
C:去找老板之前,我需要征求其他同事的意见吗?
A:That will only create more conflict and conversation plus cause additional trouble for you and Sue.
C:具体该怎么做?
A:Gather all your facts and documentation, making sure to separate any personal feelings from your professional opinions.
C:这我知道,要如实说明情况,不能搀杂个人色彩。
A:When you approach your boss, give Sue credit for her talent and expertise before you mention her approach to team issues.
C:好,还有呢?
A:Let your boss know what you have done to try to correct the problem and your ideas to correct the situation without losing Sue.
C:我如果不去管它,情况会不会自己好起来呢?
A:It rarely does. You need to face the issue with your associate first as you already have. Since that has not worked, approach your boss and seek advice to resolve the issue to the benefit of all.
礼节美语065讲
陈豪在北京的ABC美国公司工作。他中午去吃饭,正好遇到美国同事Amy。
(Office ambience)
C:Amy, 你去吃饭吗?
A:As a matter of fact, I am.
C:我准备到楼下的商店去随便买个汉堡。一起去吧?
A:OK. I am looking for a quick bite myself. I would be delighted to join you.
C:我刚好有个问题要请教你。
A:What is it?
C:现在很多人都在格间里工作,我还记得你告诉过我,工作时应该尽量设法不要影响到别人。
A:Right. We have discussed keeping your voice down in your cubicle, not using a speaker phone or holding a meeting in your cube.
C:对,除了声音不要太大以外,还有不要吃味道特别重的食物。不过Amy,我最近还注意到了另外一个问题。
A:I`m interested to hear what it is.
C:主要是个人对工作格间的装饰。I call it "cubicle decor."
A:Here we are at the sandwich shop. Let`s get seated and then continue our conversation.
******
陈豪和Amy坐下吃饭。
A:You were talking about cubicle décor. What do you mean?
C:有人的格间很整齐,没有任何私人物品,但有的人却好像是把家都搬来了。
A:Can you be more specific?
C:他们的工作间里到处是家人的照片、小装饰品、孩子的手工作品、出去玩买的纪念品,还有各种奖状。
A:That bothers you?
C:我确实觉得有点儿过份。
A:Well, I agree with you. People need to add a personal touch to their office or cubicle without overdoing it.
C:我觉得应该定个规矩,一律不许用私人物品来装饰办公室?
A:I disagree. Putting personal touches around your desk reveals a dimension of your personality to your co-workers and associates. It`s as important as small talk in the office.
C:这么说也有道理,其实我就挺喜欢看同事们桌子上的照片的。但是你不觉得应该适当控制一下吗?
A:People need to understand the limits of how much memorabilia to display as well as what is appropriate.
C:那你觉得什么样的限制比较合理呢?
A:Keep the number of family photos to one or two, no more than 5x7 inches each. Display a favorite art piece, knick-knack or a plague that expresses a personal philosophy, but not a collection.
C:你的意思是可以放一、两张5x7的照片,外加一件小装饰品。还有些同事喜欢在办公室里养花,你觉得合适吗?
A:It`s OK to add a live plant or two. The bottom line is to make your work area represent you without diminishing your professionalism.